Ribogospod. nauka Ukr., 2022; 4(62): 55-72
Results of pikeperch (Sander lucioperca Linnaeus, 1758) cultivation with pool technology
Purpose.To investigate the peculiarities of pikeperch fingerlings (Sander lucioperca Linnaeus, 1758) cultivated with the use of pool technology and different stoking densities, also to provide a comprehensive fishery-biological assessment of the produced fish.
Methodology. The material for the study were juvenile and young-of-the-year pikeperch. They were cultivated in 17.3 m3 pools (in the first series of the experiment) and 2.16 m3 pools (in the second series of the experiment). According to the physiological needs of pikeperch at the studied stage of ontogenesis, its diet consisted of salt brine shrimp (Artemia salina Linnaeus, 1758) nauplii and combined feed. They were fed according to a scheme with a sequential change of 3 stages: 1 – feeding exclusively with brine shrimp nauplii; 2 – combined feeding (brine shrimp nauplii and combined feed were mixed); 3 – feeding exclusively with combined feed. Also, 3 options of stocking density were used at each of the above-mentioned growing stages. Namely: at the 1st stage ‒ 40, 60 and 80 thousand individuals/m3; in the II stage ‒ 10, 15 and 20 thousand individuals/m3, and in the III stage ‒ 5, 7, 10 thousand individuals/m3. During the entire growing process, according to the schedule, test catches were carried out, during which weighing was carried out, based on the results of which absolute and relative weight gains were calculated. Statistical processing of the received data was carried out using a package of standard Microsoft Office software.
Findings. The study established that the highest growth rates were found in fish that were grown at the stocking density: at first 40 thousand individuals/m3 (I stage), and then 10 thousand individuals/m3 (II stage) and 5 (III stage) individuals/m3 after that — experimental group No 1. The individual weights in the fish from this experimental group were 1.7–1.8 g at the first stage of rearing, and at the second stage of rearing, the intensity of weight accumulation in them increased almost twice (2.4–2.2 g). The survival rate of fish from the experimental group No 1 was 37.5–41.0% at the I stage of rearing and 74.0–78.0% at the II stage. Under such scheme (feeding and stocking density as in experimental group No 1) of pikeperch juveniles and young-of-the-year cultivation in pools, the fish productivity of the latter ranged from 21 to 35.8 kg/m3 (depending on the initial size of the pools for rearing).
Originality.For the first time in the conditions of Ukraine, a comparative analysis of young-of-the-pikeperch cultivation using intensive technology was carried out, and practical recommendations were given to improve the existing technology.
Practical Value.The use of the pool method of young-of-the-pikeperch cultivation allows expanding the existing technologies of aquaculture for this fish species and increase the market of its additional products.
Keywords: pikeperch (Sander lucioperca Linnaeus, 1758), juveniles, fingerlings, pool technology of aquaculture, planting densities, weight, survival.
- Dil, H., & Teletchea, F. (2008). The European market of the pikeperch for consumption. Percid fish culture, from research to production. Namur, Belgium: Presses Universitaires de Namur, 15-16.
- Martin, B., & Vandevorde, D. Lucas (2008). Perches: production of Eurasian perch in recirculating system. Percid fish culture, from research to production. Namur, Belgium: Presses Universitaires de Namur, 66.
- Percid fish culture, from research to production. Namur, Belgium: Presses Universitaires de Namur, 67.
- Hrynzhevskyi, V., Tretiak, O. M., Alymov, S. I., Hrytsyniak, I. I., Borbat, M., & Teodorovych, O. M. (2001). Netradytsiini obiekty rybnytstva v akvakulturi Ukrainy. Kyiv: Svit.
- Tretiak, O. M., Hrytsyniak, I. I., Kotsiuba, V. M., & Hankevych, B. O. (2008). Biolohichna kharakterystyka ta tekhnolohichni pryiomy kultyvuvannia dodatkovykh i netradytsiinykh obiektiv rybnytstva. Fermerske rybnytstvo. Kyiv: Herb, 333-361.
- Praktychni rekomendatsii shchodo vyrobnytstva sudaka pry vybori shliakhiv zabezpechennia konkurentnykh perevah rybnoho hospodarstva (2018). Kyiv: NUBiP Ukrainy, BU «MTTs z akvakultury».
- Hrynzhevskyi, M. V., & Pekarskyi, A. V. (2004). Optymizatsiia vyrobnytstva produktsii akvakultury. Kyiv: PolihrafKonsaltynh.
- Hrytsyniak, I. I., Hrynzhevskyi, M. V., & Tretiak, O. M. (2008). Fermerske rybnytstvo. Kyiv: Rybka moia.
- Andriushchenko, A. I., & Alymov, S. I. (2008). Stavove rybnytstvo. Kyiv: Vydavnychyi tsentr NAU.
- Bilyi, M. D. (1958). Rozmnozhennia ta rozvedennia sudaka. Kyiv: Ukrrybhosp.
- Kuznetsova, Y. Y. (1958). Vyrashchyvanye molody sudaka v nerestovo-vyrastnykh khoziaistvakh. Moskva: Rybnoe khoziaistvo.
- Martseniuk, V. P. (2014). Dosvid rozvedennia ta vyroshchuvannia sudaka (Sander lucioperca) za riznykh tekhnolohii. Rybohospodarska nauka Ukrainy, 3, 55-66.
- Poltavchuk, M. A. (1959). Osnovy biotekhnyky rozvedennia sudaka v shtuchnykh vodoimakh. Kyiv: Ukrrybhosp.
- Del’muhametov, A. B. (2012). Biotehnika formirovanija i jekspluatacii remontno-matochnogo stada sudaka v ustanovkah zamknutogo cikla vodoobespechenija. Extended abstract of candidate’s thesis. Kaliningrad.
- P’janov, D. S., Molchanova, K. A., Del’muhametov, A. B., & Hrustalev, E. I. (2016). Osobennosti domestikacii sudaka (Sander lucioperca) i raduzhnoj foreli (Oncorhynchus mykiss) na jetapah rosta i sozrevanija v uslovijah ustanovok zamknutogo vodoobespechenija. Izvestija KGTU, 43, 55-56.
- Müller-Belecke, A., & Zienert S. (2008). Out-of-season spawning of pike perch (Sander lucioperca L.) without the need for hormonal treatments. Aquaculture Research, 39, 1279-1285. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2109.2008.01991.x
- Ljubobratović, U., Péter, G., Horváth, Z., Endre, B., Lengyel, S., Kovács, G., & Rónyai, A. (2015). Intensive rearing performance of three pikeperch (Sander lucioperca) fingerling populations from Hungary. Water and Fish: 7th International conference. Belgrade-Zemun, Serbia, 350-355.
- Żakęś Z., Kowalska, A., Czerniak, S., & Demska-Zakęś, K. (2006). Effect of feeding frequency on growth and size in juvenile pikeperch, Sander lucioperca (L.). Czech Journal of Animal Science, 51, 85-91. https://doi.org/10.17221/3914-CJAS
- Schram, E., Roques, J. A. C., van Kuijk, T., Abbink, W., van der Heul, J. W., de Vries, P., Bierman, S. M., van de Vis, J. W., & Flik, G. (2014). The impact of elevated water ammonia and nitrate concentrations on physiology, growth and feed intake of pikeperch (Sander lucioperca). Aquaculture, 420-421, 95-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2013.10.027
- Wang, N., Xu, X., & Kestemont, P. (2009). Effect of temperature and feeding frequency on growth performances, feed efficiency and body composition of pikeperch juveniles (Sander lucioperca). Aquaculture, 289, 70-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2009.01.002
- Nagel, T. O. (1996). Intensive culture of fingerlings walleye on formulated feeds. Walley Culture Manual. Ames: Iowa State University, 205-207.
- Kononenko, R. V., Shevchenko, P. H., Kondratiuk, V. M., & Kononenko, I. S. (2016). Intensyvni tekhnolohii v akvakulturi. Kherson: OLDI-PLIuS.
- FAOStat: Global Aquaculture Production Volume and Value Statistics Database. FAO Fisheries and Aquaculture Department. www.fao.org. Retrieved from http://www.fao.org/fishery/statistics/global-aquaculture-production/en.
- Svanback, R. (2004). Morphological variation in Eurasian perch (Perca fluviatilis): linking performance and ecology. Journal of Morphology, 260, 333.
- Yamamoto, T. (1954). Physiological studies on fertilization and activation of ﬁsh eggs. V. The role of calcium ions in activation of Oryzias eggs. Experimental Cell Research, 6, 56-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-4827(54)90147-0
- Żakęś, Z. (1999). The effect of body size and water temperature on the results of intensive rearing of pike-perch, Stizostedion lucioperca (L.) fry under controlled conditions. Archives of Polish Fisheries, 7, 187-199.
- Żakęś, Z., Szczepkowski, M., & Szkudlarek, M. (2000). Production of pikeperch, Stizostedion luciperca, to market size in water recirculation systems. Presnovodnaja akvakul’tura v Central’noj i Vostochnoj Evrope: dostizhenija i perspektivy : Mezhdunar. nauch.-prakt. konf. Kyiv: Institute of Fisheries, 214-216.
- Pravdin, I. F. (1979). Rukovodstvo po izucheniju ryb. Moskva: Pishhevaja promyshlennost’.
- Kotljar, O. A. (2004). Metody rybohozjajstvennyh issledovanij (ihtiologija). Rybnoe.