Ribogospod. nauka Ukr., 2020; 1(51): 5-27
Outlooks of largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides Lacеpеde, 1802) aquaculture taking into account the adaptation to climate change and the development of recreational fishing and international fishing tourism (a review)
, The Institute of Fisheries of the National Academy of Agrarian Sciences, Kyiv
Purpose. Modern fisheries of Ukraine faces many challenges, among which the adaptation to climate changes as well as the development of recreational fishery and international fishing tourism can be highlighted. The main purpose of the adaptation can be formulated as an improvement of fishery activities due to an increase in average annual temperatures and prolongation of the active growth period of aquatic organisms. Moreover, in the majority of developed countries all around the world, there is a tendency of the transition from perception of fish as a food product to the perception of fish as an object of recreational services. This makes possible to exploit fish stocks more effectively and sparingly, with only a little harm for fish. As a new object of aquaculture that has high adaptive potential to increases in average annual temperatures and takes an important place in recreational fishing across the world, we can consider the largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides). This fish species, which is native to freshwaters of North America, is currently reared in aquaculture in more than 50 countries, mainly for recreational and sport fishing. The development of methodologies for largemouth bass aquaculture in Ukraine could contribute to more effective fisheries management and to development of recreational fishing services. This in turn would result in income growth to local and general budgets and would contribute to more effective investment raising.
Findings. The article contains brief information on the outlooks of reproduction and cultivation of the largemouth bass in Ukrainian aquaculture, ecological and fisheries characteristics of this species with the description of its natural habitats, feeding, growing potential of different age groups, and breeding process in its natural range. Moreover, this review mentions attempts of largemouth bass introduction to Ukrainian water bodies occurred in XІХ-ХХ centuries, and possible reasons of its total and partial failures. Furthermore, this article assesses the potential impact of the largemouth bass on local ichthyofauna and aquaculture conditions, and considers the measures aimed on the prevention of uncontrolled spread of this species during cultivation.
Practical value. Information provided in this review can be further used for development of the methodology of largemouth bass aquaculture in Ukraine as well as for popularization of this species for recreational fishing and the development of international fishing tourism.
Keywords: largemouth bass, Micropterus salmoides, recreation, climate change, aquaculture, recreational fishing, sport fishing, international fishing tourism, investments, adaptation strategy, perspective species.
- Anishchenko, I. A. (1941). Dobavochnye ryby v prudakh (amerikanskiy bol'sherotyy okun'). Rybnoe khozyaystvo, 2.
- Burmakin, E. V. (1963). Akklimatizatsiya presnovodnykh ryb v SSSR. Izvestiya GosNIORH, 317.
- Guschin, V. O., Sytnyk, Yu. M., Mateichyk, V. I., & Sinchuk, М. А. (2019). Deiaki aspekty introduktsii tsinnykh vydiv ryb do rybohospodarskykh vodnykh obiektiv Ukrainy. Perspektyvy hidroekolohichnykh doslidzhen v konteksti problem dovkillia ta sotsialnykh vyklykiv. VIII zizd Hidroekoloh. tov. Ukrainy: tezy dop. Kyiv: IH NANU, 196-198.
- Yevtushenko, M. Yu., Dudnyk, S. V., & Hliebova, Yu. А. (2011). Aklimatyzatsiia hidrobiontiv. Kyiv: Ahrarna osvita.
- Il'in, B. S. (1960). Ikhtiofauna Severnoy Ameriki kak istochnik rekrutov dlya akklimatizatsii. Trudy VNIRO, 43(1).
- Karpevich, A. F., & Bokova, E. N. (1963). Peresadki ryb i vodnykh bespozvonochnykh, provedennye v SSSR za 1960-1961gg. Voprosy ikhtiologii, 3, 2(27), 366-395.
- Krymova, R. V. (1954). Biologiya i tekhnika razvedeniya foreleokunya v prudakh. Trudy VNIIPRH, 7, 74-88.
- Krymova, R. V. (1961). Biologiya foreleokunya i razvedenie ego v prudakh. Trudy VNIIPRH, 10, 48-136.
- Nosal', A. D., & Simonova, L. G. (1958). Rybnoe naselenie ozer Volynskoy i Rovenskoy oblastey i promysel ryby. Trudy NIIRH UASHN, 11, 111-131.
- Poddubnyy, A. G. (1978). Ikhtiofauna. Volga i ee zhizn'. Leningrad: Nauka, 228-247.
- Rykova, T. I. (1964). Biologicheskoe obosnovanie akklimatizatsii bol'sherotogo chernogo okunya v Shapsugskom vodokhranilishche. Trudy VNIRO, 55, 159-165.
- Sytnik, Yu., Guschin, V., Mateichyk, V., & Sinchuk, М. (2019). Do pytannia pro naslidky introduktsii deiakykh vydiv ryby u hidroekosystemu Shatskykh ozer: realii sohodennia. Fauna Ukrainy na mezhi XX–XXI st. Stan i bioriznomanittia ekosystem pryrodookhoronnykh terytorii: Mizhnar. zooloh. konferents.: tezy dop. Lviv: SPOLOM, 149-152.
- Shevchenko, P. G., Sytnik, Yu. М., Mateichyk, V. I., & Novitskyi, R. O. (2013). Retrospektyvnyi ohliad formuvannia skladu ikhtiofauny Shatskykh ozer. Pryroda Zakhidnoho Polissia ta prylehlykh terytorii, 10, 149-155.
- Jalynskaja, N. S. (1953) Biologicheskie osnovy rekonstrukcii rybnogo hozjajstva ozer Shackoj gruppy Volynskoj oblasti. Candidate's thesis. L'vov.
- Allan, R. C., & Romero, J. (1975). Underwater observations of largemouth bass spawning and survival in Lake Mead. Black Bass Biology and Management. Washington, DC: Sport Fishing Institute, 104-112.
- Annett, C., Hunt, J., & Dibble, E. D. (1996). The complete bass: habitat use patterns of all stages of the life cycle of largemouth bass. Multidimensional Approaches to Reservoir Fisheries Management. American Fisheries Society, Symposium 16. Bethesda, MD, 306-314.
- Bai J. J., Li S. J., & Deng G. C. (2009). Farming status and technology of largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides) in China (Section one). Scientific Fish Farming, 6, 15-16.
- Beamesderfer, R. C., & North, J. A. (1995). Growth, natural mortality, and predicted response to fishing for largemouth bass and smallmouth bass populations in North America. North American Journal of Fisheries Management, 15, 688-704. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8675(1995)015<0688:GNMAPR>2.3.CO;2
- Beitinger, T. L., Bennett, W. A., & McCauley, R. W. (2000). Temperature tolerances of North American freshwater fishes exposed to dynamic changes in temperature. Environmental Biology of Fishes, 58, 237-275. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1007676325825
- Bondari, K. (1983). Training and growth of artificially fed largemouth bass in culture tanks. Aquaculture Research, 14, 145-149. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2109.1983.tb00064.x
- Brown, M. L., & Murphy, B. R. (2004). Seasonal dynamics of direct and indirect condition indices in relation to energy allocation in largemouth bass Micropterus salmoides (Lacepede). Ecology of Freshwater Fish, 13, 23-36. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0906-6691.2004.00031.x
- Carlander, K. D. (1977) Handbook of Freshwater Fishery Biology. (Vol. 2). The Iowa State University Press, Ames, IA.
- Carr, M. H. (1942). The breeding habits, embryology, and larval development of the large-mouthed black bass in Florida. Proceedings of the New England Zoological Club, 20, 43-77.
- Cooke, S. J., McKinley, R., & Phillip, D. P. (2001). Physical activity and behavior of a centrarchid fish, Micropterus salmoides, during spawning. Ecology of Freshwater Fish, 10, 227-237. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0633.2001.100405.x
- Coutant, C. C., & DeAngelis, D. L. (1983). Comparative temperature-dependent growth rates of large-mouth and smallmouth bass fry. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, 112, 416-423. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8659(1983)112<416:CTGROL>2.0.CO;2
- Dorsey, L. G. (1997). Population dynamics and habitat use of age-0 largemouth bass and spotted bass in Normandy Reservoir, Tennessee. MSc thesis. Cookeville, TN: Tennessee Technological University.
- Garvey, J. E., & Stein, R. A. (1996). Linking bluegill and gizzard shad prey assemblages to growth of age-0 largemouth bass in reservoirs. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, 127, 70-83. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8659(1998)127<0070:LBAGSP>2.0.CO;2
- Garvey J. E., Wright, R. A., & Stein, R. A. (1998). Overwinter growth and survival of age-0 largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides): revisiting the role of body size. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 55, 2414-2424. https://doi.org/10.1139/f98-124
- Goodgame, L. S., & Miranda, L. E. (1993). Early growth and survival of age-0 largemouth bass in relation to parental size and swim-up time. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, 122, 131-138. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8659(1993)122<0131:EGASOA>2.3.CO;2
- Green, D. M., & Heidinger, R. C. (1994). Longevity record for largemouth bass. North American Journal of Fisheries Management, 14, 464-65. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8675(1994)014<0464:LRFLB>2.3.CO;2
- Hambright, K. D. (1991). Experimental analysis of prey selection by largemouth bass: role of predator mouth width and prey body depth. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, 120, 500-508. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8659(1991)120<0500:EAOPSB>2.3.CO;2
- Heidinger, R. C. (1975). Life history and biology of largemouth bass. Black Bass Biology and Management. Washington, DC: Sport Fishing Institute, 11-20.
- Hill, J. E., Nico, L. G., Cichra, C. E., & Gilbert, C. R. (2004). Prey vulnerability to peacock cichlids and largemouth bass based on predator gape and prey body depth. Proceedings of the Annual Conference Southeastern Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies, 58, 47-56.
- Hrytsyniak, I., Sytnik, Yu., Guschin, V., Mateichyk, V., & Sinchuk, М. (2019). Morphological characteristic of the Largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides) from the Svitiaz’ lake of Shats’ky lake group. Suchasni problemy teoretychnoi ta praktichnoi ihtiologii: XII ihtiolog. nauk. -praktych. konf. Dnipro: DNU, 15-18.
- Hunt, J., Annett, C. A. (2002). Effects of habitat manipulation on reproductive success of individual largemouth bass in an Ozark reservoir. North American Journal of Fisheries Management, 22, 1201-1208. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8675(2002)022<1201:EOHMOR>2.0.CO;2
- Huskey, S. H., Turnigan R. G. (2001) Variation in prey-resource utilization and oral jaw gape between two populations of largemouth bass, Micropterus salmoides. Environmental Biology of Fishes 61, 185-194. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1011095526939
- Isely, J. J., & Noble, R. L. (1987). Use of daily otolith rings to interpret development of length distributions of young largemouth bass. The Age and Growth of Fish. Ames, LA: The Iowa State University Press, 475-481.
- Ludsin, S. A., & DeVries, D. R. (1997). First-year recruitment of largemouth bass: the interdependency of early life stages. Ecological Applications, 7, 1024-1038. https://doi.org/10.1890/1051-0761(1997)007[1024:FYROLB]2.0.CO;2
- McCormick, J. H., & Jensen, K. M. (1992). Osmoregulatory failure and death of first-year largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides) exposed to low pH and elevated aluminum, at low temperature in soft water. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 49, 1189-1197. https://doi.org/10.1139/f92-134
- Meador, M. R., & Kelso, W. E. (1990). Growth of largemouth bass in low-salinity environments. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, 119, 545-552. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8659(1990)119<0545:GOLBIL>2.3.CO;2
- Miranda, L. E. (2014). Changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes. Lakeline, 34, 28-31. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8659(1994)123<0080:LDWSAL>2.3.CO;2
- Miranda, L. E., & Hubbard, W. D. (1994). Length-dependent winter survival and lipid composition of age-0 largemouth bass in Bay Springs Reservoir, Mississippi. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, 123, 80-87. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8659(1987)7<131:ROYLBI>2.0.CO;2
- Miranda, L. E., & Muncy, R. J. (1987). Recruitment of young-of-year largemouth bass in relation to size structure of parental stock. North American Journal of Fisheries Management, 7, 131-137.
- Mittelbach, G. G., & Persson, L. (1998). The ontogeny of piscivory and its ecological implications. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 55, 1454-1465. https://doi.org/10.1139/f98-041
- Moss, D. D., & Scott, D. C. (1961). Dissolved oxygen requirements of three species of fish. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, 90, 377-393. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8659(1961)90[377:DROTSO]2.0.CO;2
- Neal, J. W., & Noble, R. L. (2006). A bioenergetics-based approach to explain largemouth bass size in tropical reservoirs. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, 135, 1535-1545. https://doi.org/10.1577/T05-258.1
- Neumann, R. M., Guy, C. S., & Willis, D. W. (2012). Length, weight, and associated indices. Fisheries Techniques. 3rd edn. Bethesda, MD: American Fisheries Society, 637-676.
- Nieman, D. A., Clady, M. D., & Gebhart, G. E. (1979). Sexual maturity of small yearling largemouth bass in Oklahoma. Proceedings of the Oklahoma Academy of Sciences, 59, 51-52.
- Niimi, A. J., & Beamish, F. W. H. (1974). Bioenergetics and growth of largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides) in relation to body weight and temperature. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 52, 447-456. https://doi.org/10.1139/z74-056
- Parmley, D., Alvarado, G., & Cortez, M. (1986). Food habits of hatchery-reared Florida largemouth bass. The Progressive Fish-Culturist, 48, 264-267. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8640(1986)48<264:FHOSHF>2.0.CO;2
- Post, D. M., Kitchell, J. F., & Hodgson, J. R. (1998). Interactions among adult demography, spawning date, growth rate, predation, overwinter mortality, and the recruitment of largemouth bass in a northern lake. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 55, 2588-2600. https://doi.org/10.1139/f98-139
- Purdom, Т., Schoofs, A., Hodgson, J. R., Maki, T., & Hodgson, J. Y. (2015). A thirty year diet record of largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides) from a small north temperate lake. Bios, 86, 20-30. https://doi.org/10.1893/0005-3155-86.1.20
- Rahel, F. J. (2007). Biogeographic barriers, connectivity and homogenization of freshwater faunas: it's a small world after all. Freshwater Biology, 52, 696-710. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2427.2006.01708.x
- Raibley, P. T., Irons, K. S., O'Hara, T. M., Blodgett, K. D., & Spark, R. E. (1997). Winter habitats used by largemouth bass in the Illinois River, a large river-floodplain ecosystem. North American Journal of Fisheries Management, 17, 401-412. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8675(1997)017<0401:WHUBLB>2.3.CO;2
- Rivero, L. H. (1937). The introduced largemouth bass, a predator upon native Cuban fishes. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, 66, 367-368.https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8659(1936)66[367:TILBAP]2.0.CO;2
- Scott, W. B., & Crossman, E. J. (1973). Freshwater Fishes of Canada. Fisheries Research Board of Canada Bulletin, 184.
- Shoup, D. E., & Wahl, D. H. (2009). The effects of turbidity on prey selection by piscivorous largemouth bass. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, 138, 1018-1027. https://doi.org/10.1577/T09-015.1
- Strawn, K. (1961). Growth of largemouth bass fry at various temperatures. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, 90, 334-335. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8659(1961)90[334:GOLBFA]2.0.CO;2
- Stuber, R. J., Gebhart, G., & Maughan, O. E. (1982). Habitat suitability index models: largemouth bass. Washington, DC: U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
- Timmons, T. J., Shelton, W. L., & Davies, W. D. (1980). Gonad development, fecundity, and spawning season of largemouth bass in newly impounded West Point Reservoir, Alabama-Georgia. Technical Paper 100. Washington, DC: U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
- USDI (U. S. Department of Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service and U. S. Department of Commerce, U. S. Census Bureau) (2011). 2011 National survey of fishing, hunting, and wildlife associated recreation. Washington, DC: U. S. Government Printing Office.
- Vogele, L. E., & Rainwater, W. C. (1975). Use of brush shelters as cover by spawning black basses (Micropterus) in Bull Shoals Reservoir. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, 104, 264-269. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8659(1975)104<264:UOBSAC>2.0.CO;2
- Warren, M. L., Jr. (2009). Centrarchid identification and natural history. Centrarchid Fishes: Diversity, Biology and Conservation. Chichester: Wiley-Blackwell, 375-535. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781444316032.ch13
- Wasserman, R. J., Strydom, N. A., & Weyl, O. L. F. (2011). Diet of largemouth bass, Micropterus salmoides (Centrarchidae) in the lower reaches of an Eastern Cape River, South Africa. African Zoology, 46, 378-386. https://doi.org/10.1080/15627020.2011.11407511
- Wickstrom, G. A., & Applegate, R. L. (1989). Growth and food selection of intensively cultured largemouth bass. The Progressive Fish-Culturist, 51, 79-82. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8640(1989)051<0079:GAFSOI>2.3.CO;2
- Yasuno, N., Chiba, Y., Shindo, K., Fujimoto, Y., Shimada, Т., Shikano, S., & Kikuchi, E. (2012). Size-dependent ontogenetic diet shift to piscivory documented from stable isotope analyses in an introduced population of largemouth bass. Environmental Biology of Fishes, 93, 255-266. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10641-011-9911-2