Ribogospod. nauka Ukr., 2018; 1(43): 43-53
Exterior and weight characteristics of age-1+ brown trout (Salmo trutta Linnaeus, 1758), rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss Walbaum, 1792) and brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis Mitchill, 1814)
Purpose. To study and analyze the results of the phenotypic parameters and the rate of linear and weight growth of 1+ salmonids (Salmo trutta m. fario, Oncorhynchus mykiss, Salvelinus fontinalis) grown in the tanks of the farm "Fish Stream" in the Transcarpathian region.
Methodology. Material for the study were 1+ brown trout, rainbow trout and brook trout served. Morphometric measurements of fish were carried out according to generally accepted techniques for salmonids. Weighing of fish was conducted on electronic analytical scales. Processing of the obtained data was performed in Microsoft Office Excel (2007). The analysis of variables was performed in the system of absolute values. The criteria for the analysis of parameters were their mean value and standard error (M ± m).
Findings. Based on the obtained results, a comparative analysis of morphometric measurements, exterior indices and growth rates of the investigated fish species was conducted. It was found that the highest condition factor was in brook trout - 1.52, somewhat lower it was in rainbow trout and the lowest in brown trout - 1.33 and 1.26, respectively. The big head index was the lowest in brown and rainbow trout - 21.2 and 21.42, respectively. The body height index of rainbow trout and brook trout was almost the same and quite low, indicating on their stockiness. When performing a detailed study of weight accumulation and average daily gain, it was found out that at age-1+, the highest final weight was in brook trout – 288.56 g, which is 10.01% and 118.5% more relative to rainbow trout and brown trout. On average, from April to September, the average daily gain in brook trout, rainbow trout and brown trout was 1.48 g, 1.37 and 0.67 g, respectively.
Originality. For the first time in Western Ukraine, a study of morphometric parameters and growth rates of age-1+ fish of valuable species of trout farming was conducted.
Practical Value. In the process of salmonid rearing with continuous study of their weights, morphometric, morphological and physiological features, the obtained results can be used to improve fish-technological and breeding work in the direction of increasing meat production and improving the production efficiency of certain salmonid species.
Keywords: brown trout, rainbow trout, brook trout, weight, body indices.
- FAO (2014). The State of World Fisheries and Aquaculture Opportunities and challenges. https://doi.org/10.4172/2155-9546.1000175
- Firouz, A., Soheil, L., Hossein, K., Shabanali, N., & Mohammad, B. et al. (2013). The Effects of Folic Acid Treatment on Biometric and Blood Parameters of Fingerling Rainbow Trout Fishes (Oncorhynchus mykiss). J. Aquac. Res. Development, 4(175), doi:10.4172/2155-9546.1000175.
- Köse, S., Erkebany, C., Kurtoglu, I. Z., Bascina, N., & Degirmenci, A. (2001). Comparison of chemical contents and consumer acceptance of albino rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss Walbaum, 1782) with brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis Mitchill, 1814) and normal pigmented rainbow trout. Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science, 18, 81-86.
- Rasmussen, R. S., & Ostenfeld, T. H. (2000). Effect of growth rate on quality traits and feed utilisation of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) and brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis). Aquaculture, 184(3), 327-337. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0044-8486(99)00324-5
- Kukuła, K. (2006). A low stone weir as a barrier for the fish in a mountain stream. Pol. J. Environ. Stud., 15, 132-137.
- Haloyan, L., Mruk, A., Kucheruk, A., & Terteryan, L. (2017). Productive characteristics of age-3 brood brown trout (Salmo trutta) reared in the conditions industrial aquaculture. Fisheries science of Ukraine, 1(39), 64‐72. https://doi.org/10.15407/fsu2017.01.064
- Kizak, V., Guner, Y., Turel, M., Can, E., & Kayim, M. A. (2011). Comparison of the survival and growth performance in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) and brown trout (Salmo trutta fario) fry. African Journal of Agricultural Research, 6(5), 1274-1276.
- Kaya, Y., & Erdem, M. E. (2009). Seasonal comparison of wild and farmed brown trout (Salmo trutta morpha fario L., 1758): crude lipid, gonadosomatic index and fatty acids. International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, 60(5), 413-423. https://doi.org/10.1080/09637480701777886
- Mruk, A. I., Ustych, V. I., & Buzevych, I. Yu. (2011). Vidtvorennia ta popovnennia pryrodnoho arealu strumkovoiu forelliu na prykladi r. Irshava. Rybohospodarska nauka Ukrainy, 3, 40-46.
- Blair, J. M., Ostrovsky, I., Hicks, B. J., Pitkethley, R. J., & Scholes, P. (2013). Growth of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) in warm-temperate lakes: implications for environmental change. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 70(5), 815-823. https://doi.org/10.1139/cjfas-2012-0409
- Barylo, Je. O. (2016). Biokhimichni ta morfometrychni pokaznyky peredlychynok trjokh vydiv lososevykh v odnodobovomu vici. Ryboghospodarsjka nauka Ukrajiny, 2(36), 38‐47.
- Bud, I., Ionescu, O., Vlădău, V. V., & Pop, S. N. (2007). Peştii din apele reci. Păstrăvii: Ed. Risoprint Cluj-Napoca.
- Simeanu, C., Păsărin, B., & Simeanu, D. (2010). The study of some morphological characteristics of the sturgeon species of Polyodon spathula in different development stages. Lucrări Ştiinţifice, seria Zootehnie, 54(15), 244-247.
- Barylo, Je. O. (2017). Sezonni zminy abiotychnykh pokaznykiv vody pry vyroshhuvanni lososevykh ryb. Naukovyj visnyk LNUVMBT imeni Ghzhycjkogho, 19(79), 78-82.
- Pravdin, І. F. (1939). Rukovodstvo po yzuchenyju ryb. Lenynghrad.
- Sherman, I. M., & Rylov, V. Gh. (2005). Tekhnologhija vyrobnyctva produkciji rybnyctva: pidruchnyk. Kyiv: Vyshha osvita.
- Mruk, A. I., Terterjan, L. L., Khandozhivsjka, A. I., & Terterjan, L. A. (2013). Monitoryngh rostu strumkovoji foreli v industrialjnykh u movakh ghospodarstva "Ishkhan". Ryboghospodarsjka nauka Ukrajiny, 1, 31-37. https://doi.org/10.15407/fsu2013.01.031
- Mendryshora, P. D., Mruk, A. I., & Kurinenko, Gh. A. (2017). Morfometrychna kharakterystyka remontno-matochnogho stada rajduzhnoji foreli vyroshhenoji v umovakh industrialjnogho ghospodarstva «Sloboda Banyliv». Ryboghospodarsjka nauka Ukrajiny, 3(41), 65-75.
- Mireşan, V., Cocan, D., Constantinescu, R., Răducu, C., Feştilă, I., & Sărmas, I. (2010). Using body size indices for selection of future rainbow trout breeding (Oncorhynchus mykiss, Walbaum 1792). Bulletin UASVM Animal Science and Biotechnologies, 67(1-2).