Ribogospod. nauka Ukr., 2018; 2(44): 58-70
Heavy metals in organs and tissues of the paddlefish Polyodon spathula (Walbaum) in fish ponds of the Forest-Steppe and Forest area of Ukraine
, Institute of Fisheries NAAS, Kyiv
Purpose. To investigate the peculiarities of heavy metal (Fe, Zn, Mn, Cu, Ni, Co, Pb, Cd) accumulation in organs and tissues of the North American paddlefish Polyodon spathula (Walbaum) introduced into inland water bodies of Ukraine.
Methodology. The objects of the study were age-4-7 paddlefish reared in ponds of the forest-steppe and forest area of Ukraine. Age-3 carp as well as hybrids between the bighead and silver carps reared in polyculture with experimental groups of the paddlefish were used for comparative evaluation of the peculiarities of heavy metal accumulation in fish muscular tissues. The studies of the heavy metal content in pond water, fish organs and tissues were performed with the use of generally accepted toxicological methods. The quantitative contents of heavy metals were determined with the aid of the atomic-absorption spectrophotometer C-115-M1.
Findings. The toxicological state of the experimental ponds was characterized by elevated values of the contents of Mn (by 8.5-8.9 times), Cu (by 2.1-3.9 times) and Pb (by 1.5-1.80 in water. The concentration of other heavy metals in water did not exceed the allowed values. Similar patterns were found regarding the heavy metal distribution and accumulation in paddlefish organs and tissues as for carps. No maximum allowable concentrations of heavy metals were detected in the muscular tissues of the paddlefish. Among all studied fish reared in polyculture, the paddlefish had the lowest content of Cu, Co, Pb and Cd in muscles. The mean heavy metal contents in paddlefish muscles in the studied ponds of forest-steppe and forest area were: Fe (4.64-29.60), Zn (1.20-5.54), Mn (0.10-0.23), Cu (0.09-0.44), Ni (0.28-2.15), Co (0.10-0.13), Pb (0.63-0.94), Cd (0.031-0.037).
Originality. The peculiarities of the distribution and accumulation of heavy metals in organ and tissues of the North American paddlefish reared in the conditions of pond farms of Ukraine have been studied for the first time.
Practical value. The study results is an essential component of the material for the creation of a database for the determination of product quality of domestic sturgeon culture, in particular regarding the peculiarities of heavy metal accumulation in fish.
Key words: paddlefish, pond fish farming, fish polyculture, heavy metal accumulation, fish organs and tissues.
- Onuchenko, O. V., Tretjak, O. M., & Kuleshov, O. V. (2003). Osnovy rybogospodars'kogo osvojennja veslonosa Polyodon spathula (Walbaum). Kyi'v: Vyshha osvita.
- Tretjak, O. M. (2012). Rybnyc'ko-biologichni osnovy rozvedennja ta vyroshhuvannja veslonosa Polyodon spathula (Walbaum) v akvakul'turi Ukrai'ny. Extended abstracts of candidate’s thesis. Kyi'v.
- Mims, S. D. (2006). Paddlefish culture. Development expanding beyond U.S., Russia, China. Global Aquaculture Advocate, 62-63.
- Vinogradov, V. K., Erokhina, L. V., & Mel'chenkov, E. A. (2003). Biologicheskie osnovy razvedeniya i vyrashchivaniya veslonosa (Polyodon spathula (Walbaum)). Moskva: FGNU Rosinformagrotekh.
- Tretjak, O. M., Glushko, Ju. M., & Tarasjuk, S. I. (2010). Sezonna minlyvist' cytogenetychnyh harakterystyk u veslonosa. Rybogospodars'ka nauka Ukrai'ny, 3, 25-31.
- Oleksijenko, N. V., Mel'nyk, A. P., & Sydorov, M. A. (2008). Vmist vazhkyh metaliv u tkanynah ta organah kanal'nogo soma. Rybogospodars'ka nauka Ukrai'ny, 3, 11-18.
- Mel'nyk, A. P. et al. (2009). Vmist ta rozpodil vazhkyh metaliv v organah i tkanynah promyslovyh vydiv ryb Kanivs'kogo vodoshovyshha. Rybogospodars'ka nauka Ukrai'ny, 1, 93-99.
- Mel'nyk, A. P. et al. (2012).Vydovi osoblyvosti rozpodilu ta nakopychennja vazhkyh metaliv v organah i tkanynah ljashha (Abramis brama L.) ta karasja sribljastogo (Carassius auratus L.) Kanivs'kogo vodoshovyshha. Rybogospodars'ka nauka Ukrai'ny, 3-4, 22-26.
- Mel'nyk, A. P. et al. (2015).Vazhki metaly u abiotychnyh i biotychnyh skladovyh rybogospodars'koi' gidroekosystemy “Ishhan”. Rybogospodars'ka nauka Ukrai'ny, 3-4, 5-14.
- Khavezov, I., & Tsalev, D. (1983). Atomno-absorbtsionnyy analiz. Leningrad: Khimiya.
- Syr'e i produkty pishchevye. Podgotovka prob. Mineralizatsiya dlya opredeleniya soderzhaniya toksichnykh elementov (2010). GOST 26929-94, Mezhgosudarstvennyy standart. Moskva: Standartinform.
- Syr'e i produkty pishchevye. Atomno-absorbtsionnyy metod opredeleniya toksichnykh elementov (2010). GOST 30178-96, Mezhgosudarstvennyy standart. Moskva: Standartinform.
- Alekin, O. A., Semenov, A. D., & Skopintsev, B. A. (1973). Rukovodstvo po khimicheskomu analizu vod sushi. Leningrad: Gidrometeoizdat.
- Voda rybogospodars'kyh pidpryjemstv. Zagal'ni vymogy ta normy (2006). SOU-05.01.37-385:2006. Kyiv: Ministerstvo agrarnoi' polityky Ukrai'ny.