Ribogospod. nauka Ukr., 2017; 3(41): 17-25
EXPRESS-ASSESSMENT OF TOXISITY OF WATERS FROM SURFACE WATER SUPPLY SOURCES WITH THE USE OF DANIO RERIO
Purpose. An increase in the informativeness and shortening of the timing required for biotesting of water from surface water sources in the city of Zhytomyr with the use of Danio rerio Hamilton-Buchanan instead of the traditional test object Poecilia reticulata Peters and observation of their ethology using the «time sampling» method.
Methods. Water samples were collected from reservoirs of the Teteriv river in April 2016. They were used placed in aquaria (10 dm3), where control and experimental groups were formed according to the following scheme: control group – samples with settled (24 hours) tap water; experimental group D-1 - water samples from the Denishivsky reservoir; experimental group D-2 – from water intake Vidsichne. Test specimens were females of P. reticulata and D. rerio, in which the parameters of typical and non-typical motor activity and feeding behavior were determined. Fish were exposed to water for 12 hours. Water toxicity indexes were determined for both experimental and control groups.
Findings. The studies showed the possibility of using the "time sampling" method for rapid assessment of the water toxicity of surface water sources of Zhytomyr with the use of P. reticulata and D. rerio, which consists in the instantaneous fixation of the number of individuals preferring different behavior acts. D. rerio were more susceptible to the combined action of pollutants in experimental waters than the traditional test object guppies regarding the test reactions of increasing the vector movement and reducing the activity of consumed feed (in 12 hours after the start of biotesting on average by 8,43% in the group D1 and by 11,71% in the group D2). The calculation of toxicity indexes based on the above-mentioned ethological acts, which exceeded 50%, detected an average level of pollution of the experimental water.
Originality. For the first time, the rapid assessment of the water toxicity of surface water sources in the city Zhytomyr was carried out by observing the motor activity and feeding behavior of D. rerio.
Practical value. The results of the research are used for the rapid assessment of the toxicity of water of surface water sources in the city Zhytomyr.
Key words: waters of water supply sources, rapid assessment, biotesting, P. reticulata, D. rerio, «time sampling».
- River watch. Manual for public environmental monitoring (2015). Saint-Petersburg: Friends of the Baltics / Coalition Clean Baltics.
- El-Nahhal, I. M., Zourab, S. M., & Kodeh, F. S. (2013). Nanostructured zinc oxide-cotton fibers: synthesis, characterization, and аpplications. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics, 3970-3975.
- Malik, A., Grohmann, E., & Akhtar, R. (2014). Environmental Deterioration and Human Health: Natural and anthropogenic determinants. Dordrecht; Heidelberg; London; New York: Springer, 8-23. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-007-7890-0
- Аrystarkhova, Е. О. (2017). Ekspres-otsinka potentsiinoi nebespeky vody metodom biotestuvannia na Dаphnia magna S. Visnyk agrarnoi nauky [News of agrarian sciences], 2, 50-54.
- Higiyenichni vymogy do vody pytnoi, prysnachenoi dlya spo vzhyvannya ludynoiu (2010). DSanPiN 2.2.4-171-10. Kyiv: Ministerstvo okhorony sdorovia Ukrainy.
- Nevalainen, L., Ketola, M., & Korosi, J. B. (2014). Zooplankton (Cladocera) species turnover and long-term decline of Daphnia in two high mountain lakes in the Austrian Alps. Hydrobiologia, 722(1), 75-91. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10750-013-1676-5
- Water quality. Determination of long term toxicity of substances to Daphnia magna Straus (Cladocera, Crustacea). BS 6068-5. 28: 2000, ISO 10706: 2000.
- Jakob U., & Reichmann, D. (2013). Oxidative Stress and Redox Regulation. Dordrecht; Heidelberg; London; New York: Springer, 59-126. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-007-5787-5
- Skоk S. V. (2015). Otsiniuvannia yakosti pytnoi vody m. Khersona metodom biotestuvannia. Ahroekolohichnyi zhurnal, 2, 26-30.
- Osmalenyi, М. S., Holovkov, A. M., Nanijeva, A. V., & Vergolias, M. R. (2015). Compleksna otsinka toksychnosti vodnykh srazkiv za dopomogoju roslynnykh I tvarynnykh test-orhanizmiv. Faktory eksperymentalnoi evolutsii orhanismiv, 16, 74-77.
- Honcharuk, V. V. (2016). Sposib kompleksnoho vyznachennia yakosti henetychno bezpechnoi pytnoi vody. Patent of Ukraine. № 106035.
- Metodyka vysnashennia gostroi letalnoi toksyshnosti vody na rybakh Poecilia reticulata Peters (1997). КND 211.1.4.057–97.
- Water quality. Determination of the acute lethal toxicity of substances to a freshwater fish [Brachydanio rerio Hamilton-Buchanan (Teleostei, Cyprinidae)]. – Part 1: Static method (1996). ISO 7346-1:1996.