Ribogospod. nauka Ukr., 2015; 1(31): 26-33
THE ROLE OF PISCIVOROUS BIRDS OF PODICEPS GENUS IN THE ECOLOGY OF ERYSIPELOTHRIX RHUSIOPATHIAE BACTERIA
, Institute of Agroecology and Environmental Management, NAAS, Kyiv
Purpose. To analyze the role of piscivorous birds of Podiceps genus in the ecology of Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae bacteria.
Methodology. The serological examination of birds was performed using E. rhusiopathiae growth test reactions with blood on filter paper. The method of successive dilutions was used to prepare samples with 2.0 cm3 of nutrient medium containing serum concentrations of 10.0; 5.0; 2.5; 1.3; 0.6 and 0.3%. Each sample contained 0.05 cm3 of the daily culture of pathogenic bacteria E. rhusiopathiae as an antigen and was cultivated at 36.7±0.3°C. The results were recorded after 24 hours.
Findings. The extensiveness of Podiceps cristatus infection was 47.1%, whereas that of Podiceps grisegena was 22.2%. Young birds were less affected by E. rhusiopathiae than adults. The infection rate was 4.9 times higher in adult P. cristatus birds (70.0%) than in the young ones. All seropositive birds P. grisegena belonged to the adult age group. There was no relationship between the birds’ sex and the extensiveness of E. rhusiopathiae infection rate. P. cristatus feeding mainly on fish had a greater risk of getting infected with pathogenic bacteria E. rhusiopathiae than P. grisegena.
Originality. Serological studies of erysipelas in ichthyophagous birds of Podiceps genus have been conducted in Ukraine for the first time.
Practical value. Piscivorous birds of Podiceps genus play an important role in the ecology of pathogenic bacteria E. rhusiopathiae. Erysipelothrix bacteria can not only rapidly multiply in the body of a bird, but more importantly, they can be transferred long distances between reservoirs. Thus, trophic, topical and phoric relationships are formed between P. cristatus, P. grisegena and E. rhusiopathiae. The ability of piscivorous birds to transmit pathogenic bacteria from one reservoir to others should be considered when carrying out the activities aimed at preventing and eliminating erysipelas diseases in people and farm animals.
Keywords: Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae, Podiceps cristatus, Podiceps grisegena, biocenotic relationships.
1. Litvin, V. Y., Ginzgurg, A. L., Pushkareva, V. I., et al. (1998). Epidemiologytshiskiye aspekty ekologyi bacteriy. Moskva: Farmarus-Print.
2. Borisovіch, Yu. F., & Kirilov, L. V. (1987). Infektsionye bolezni zhivotnykh: Spravochnyk. Moskva: Agropromizdat.
3. Zhukorskiy, O. M., Gulay, A. V., Gulay, V. V., & Tkachuk, N. P. (2014). Changes in the Population Density of Pathogenic Microorganisms in Response to the Allelopathic Effect of Thypha Latifolia. Agricultural sciens and practice, 1, 31-36. http://dx.doi.org/10.15407/agrisp1.01.031
4. Hulai, O. V. (2014). Vplyv shkirnykh vydilen' Rhodeus sericeus na patohennykh bakteriy. Naukovi zapysky Ternopil's'koho natsional'noho pedahohichnoho universytetu imeni Volodymyra Hnatyuka. Seriya: Biolohiya, 2(59), 30-33.
5. Hulai, O. V., & Zhukors'kyy, O. M. (2014). Vplyv shkirnykh vydilen' ryb rodu Cyprinidae na populyatsiyi patohennykh bakteriy. Rybohospodars'ka nauka Ukrayiny, 3(28), 80-87.
6. Thomas, J. N., Hunter, D. B, & Atkinson, C. T. (2007). Infectious diseases of wild birds. Ames: Blackwell Publishing. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/9780470344668
7. Opriessnig, T., Shen, H. G., Bender, J. S., Boehm, J. R., & Halbur, P. G. (2013). Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae isolates recovered from fish, a harbour seal (Phoca vitulina) and the marine environment are capable of inducing characteristic cutaneous lesions in pigs. Journal of Comparative Pathology, 148 (4), 365-372.
8. Lehane, L., & Rawlin, G. T. (2000). Topically acquired bacterial zoonoses from fish. Medical Journal of Australia, 173 (5), 25-29.
9. Bruner, G. (1938). Experimentelle Untersuchungen über Schweinrotlaufbacterien bei Fischen. Zbl. Bacteriol, 97, 457-466.
10. Traer, E. A., Williams, M. R., & Keenan, J. N. (2008). Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae infection of a total knee arthroplasty an occupational hazard. Arthroplasty, 23(4), 609-611. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2007.02.011
11. Jensen, W. I., & Cotter, S. E. (1976). An outbreak of erysipelas in eared grebes (Podiceps nigricollis). Journal of Wildlife Diseases, 12, 583-586. http://dx.doi.org/10.7589/0090-3558-12.4.583
12. Smohorzhevs'kyy, O. L. (1979). Fauna Ukrayiny. Hahary, nortsi, trubkonosi, veslonohi, holinasti, flaminho. Kiev: Naukova dumka.
13. Hulai, O. V., Zhukors'kyy, O. M., Hulai, V. V., & Tkachuk, N. P. (2014). Provedennya serolohichnoyi reaktsiyi proby rostu z krovyu na fil'truval'nomu paperi. Pat. 91322 Ukrayina, MPK G01N 33/49 (2006.01).
14. Brandt, Z. (2003). Analiz dannyh. Statisticheskie i vycheslitel'nye metody dlja nauchnyh rabotnikov i inzhenerov. Moskva: OOO «Izdatel'stvo AST».